Thursday, November 15, 2007

Snif! snif!

I used to be a very emotional and empathetic kid (I still am, ask my husband), and whenever I sang this poem I would feel bad and weep for the piggy....

Piggy on the railway, picking up stones,
down came an engine and broke piggy's bones,
Ah! said the piggy, thats' not fair,
Oh! said the engine driver, I don't care.

That reminds me that I used to also watch a program on Doordarshan (I was very young!), I don't remember anything from that serial, it was a kid's show, but just the song sequence for which I would cry once again. Its a Telugu play and goes like this:

A tiger is threatening to kill and eat a cow, and the cow is very sad because it has a hungry calf which is waiting for her. The cow pleads and sings (I doubt if lyrics are right as my Telugu is bad):

"puli raaja! puli raaja! champaku, champaku, puli raja,
naak-oka dooda undhi,
daniki paalu-ichostanu.................."

Tiger! please dont kill me, I have a calf, which is waiting for me, I will give it some milk and come....

and if I am not wrong the cow gives the calf milk and comes back and I think the tiger is moved and lets the cow go. Man! that was touching :)

I don't believe I remember this! I wonder if any one else remembers it..? My mom tells me something called bommalla tv used to come on DD and this program might have been a part of it.

And finally the song in Mr. Natwarlal sung by Amitabh himself (snif! snif!); at that point I hadn't even seen this video nor understood the meaning but the song touched me:




No comments: