Monday, October 27, 2008

End of a chapter

My Canadian adventure has come to an end for now; almost. At the end of this journey I am tierd, content, proud, motivated, a bit more experienced, and a bit more grown-up. :)After taking a little over a year long break at home after my wedding was close to heaven. The H1B not happening in the first round was a blessing in disguise, like most things are in life - a surprise package. First time in my life I was cooking, running a household with the man I love, got to spend quality time with inlaws who visited me. Did all the pending things like finishing my thesis, volunteering at Red cross etc etc.



After a year when I was applying for my H1B second time, I realized I had the opportunity to work in Canada. I sent the paper work and there was no looking back I got the first job I applied for. And next thing I know I was working Toronto in freezing temperatures in March 2008. I wanted to work for 6 months and come back , but it got extended additional one month and finally this weekend I moved back for good. I am proud of myself and my husband for experiencing Canada the way we did it. A lot of them tried to rub it in how difficult it is to be away from husband and how they wouldnt ever do it themselves etc etc. I didnt care. I knew it was temporary and I guess P and I have that maturity ; love and understanding and the strength to survive even if it is long distance for a short duration. We were both excited and now fulfilled with my mini adventure.
Though I continue to work for the organization until they find a replacement for me ; so maybe it would be next 1-2 months until I completely transition out. I pretty much bid everyone good bye at Rexdale. It was nice to know that I made a difference to the organization and my absence would be felt. I thought 7 months would be too less for anyone to be missed. But this was such a fast paced environment. That from day 1 it was hands on, nobody had the time to do any training, I just picked up stuff on the go, and contributed in whatever way I could to the team and the organization and it was a great experience over all.
Husband came to pick me up and we drove back all the way from Toronto to Boston. It was a wet day and I was extremely concerned with the driving conditions. It took us good 10 hours over all. Immigration was quick and customs check was not even done.
I plan to take a break again over the winter months, finish up with this job sitting at home.

No comments: