Friday, February 1, 2008

...and about the Indian consulate!

Its been a crazy busy and hectic week (which perhaps I will write about later in detail). Attending the very first suprise baby shower this weekend, friends are coming over. And then its super bowl Sunday! Last weekend helped a friend in painting their newly purchased apartment. Painting was fun and despite being first timers we did a decent job.

My husband was stranded in Indian consulate, NY last Friday. He had been there to get an attestation done. What we thought should be done in few minutes, they took a whole day to put the signature and a stamp on a piece of paper and charged $20. I was trying to call them, left messages to at least get some information on the "attestation process", at least 10 days in advance, they never ever answer or reply to any phone calls. Why do they do that? (The website is not as informative). At least the other consulates reply to emails or at least have a Receptionist answer a call (even if she is not of great help, some guidance on the process is given). I have dealt with Indian embassy in Wellington, New Zealand too and have had a similar experience and seen people being tormented by the consulate members for even basic services such as passport renewals. Its embarrassing and disappointing to admit how unprofessional they are. I really hope I don't have to deal with them ever again!

...And yes if some of you think I might be just a bit over reacting, its because I saw this happen 'live' in New Zealand:

Bizarre diplomatic row

No comments: