Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cross border travel by road and some work travel again




I thought my last bus trip from Toronto to US would be the last one. But it wasnt. This time I was to travel whole week in US on work so decided will spend 2 consecutive weekends in Boston. So I made the trip from Toronto to Boston this time Friday night. Toronto to Niagara/Buffalo - a fairly smooth immigration. BTW I managed to click a couple of pictures. One is the entrance of the immigration officer cells, in which they sit and conduct their check at the border. The other (not so clear picture) is how the trucks crossing the border get scanned. It was interesting to see this small truck carry a piece of scanning equipment that went all around the trucks and scanned them.
Then the bus directly took me to Syracuse from Buffalo (no stop at Rochester - Thank god! and hence no extra Border Patrol officer check either). At Syracuse had a layover of about 1 hour. It was around 2am and the bus to Boston was to arrive at 3am. I relished the Dunkin Donuts coffee to the last drop.


Then an elderly Canadian lady and I started talking. She told me about her life. How she got married at 18 had a kid at 18 and her son got married at 18 and had kids at 19-20 years. How she had eloped to marry an Air Force officer in Michigan and settled in Rhode Island after marriage. And eventually after his death moved back to her home town in Canada (North of Toronto somewhere). It was interesting. This time I also I didnt sleep much. But managed to doze for 5-10 mins about 3-4 times. The break at Albany around 6am was lousy. Mainly cos the bus station as mentioned earlier was dirty (mainly the Restrooms). The driver this time again had issues finding the way - exits and getting back to the freeway. And this time it was a male driver, so obviously he wouldnt ask for directions (the female driver last time, promptly stopped and asked, such an obvious difference in approach :)). I got off at the Newton Bus station, which was very close to home (5 minute drive) and husband came to pick me up.

Relaxed over the weekend completely. Even watched Sarkar Raj. It was a total surprise that Abhishek gets killed. Monday evening I flew to Philadelphia, had a meeting with the customer at Dover in DE. This time I decided to save my company some money and stay with friends at Wilmington instead of Dover Downs. So I drove to the meeting Tuesday morning at Dover. Got back and stayed with another friend (whose house was closer to the Philly airport and I had an early flight to South Bend via Detroit, Wednesday morning).

Wednesday today here I am in Elkhart Indiana, this small town about half hour away from South Bend. So it has been busy travel week. But this time the GPS with the car rental was a huge plus, last time I wasnt too comfortable with it in DE. At South Bend, being a small place, the car rental folks dont carry navigation systems, so luckily I had the Google maps printed to help me.
Have some meetings here and plant tours to attend then again fly back to Boston on Friday via Chicago this time.



No comments: