Monday, June 30, 2008

Voldemort effect?

I hope it was one off and not series of it. I felt it last couple of days - brought back the lousy 2007 memories. crib! crib!
Anyway spent more time at airports than anywhere last couple of days. My flight from South Bend to Chicago was cancelled and passengers advised to take a bus instead. A 3 hour bus ride, but got to see some parts of Indiana I wouldnt have ever chosen to go and see. The United Airlines employee was unable to rebook me from Chicago to Boston (cos I would miss my connection due to the delay in reaching O'Hare). She said all flights were booked and she would wait list me - yes the next 2 flights to Boston and even to Manchester (NH).
I sat in the bus and called the United customer service and one very kind Indian customer service rep over the phone helped me and booked me with a confirmed seating. It will remain a mystery as to why the employee at South Bend could not do the same! (BTW wonder if United has outsourced their customer service to India, I seem to be getting quite a few Indians over the phone, should ask next time. I am calling United every week these days, following up my mileage rewards etc)
The bus was packed with students from University of Notra Dam returning home for holidays, kept me entertained with their views on religion, food, and so on.
Once I got to Chicago airport, I just had 40 minutes to board the plane once the bus reached the airport. I thought I will skip check in and just carry on and find a zip lock to stuff my liquids. But realized it was easier to check in than go hunting for a ziplock. Learnt my lesson. I always ensured I carried liquids less than 4 oz s that in case of lack of time I neednt check in, never realized I need a ziplock bag too. Realized the flight was late by an hour. Ate dinner, coincidentally a great middle-eastern sandwich - or was I too hungry as I had skipped lunch?
After boarding the plane, the crew member announced that some valve in the fuel tank had to be changed. it delayed by another hour. Finally reached Boston at 12:30 am instead of 8:30pm Friday night.
My return flight Sunday night to Toronto too same story; delayed by 2 hours and finally reached at 12am almost. This is not even half the Voldermort effect I experienced though.....the remaining best left unsaid. I have to move on.

No comments: