Monday, January 7, 2013

Westford Daycare Reviews

So its that time again. We were moving and I had to make a decision on daycares pretty soon so kids get into pre-school and a good one.

1. My first one was to Goddard School on Concord Road. Over all I have mostly heard very good things about Goddard in general. This was a relatively newer branch but the owners were very warm and hospitable and greeted me well. They were personally involved in running the place and seemed to care. Reviewed everything all the basics on routine etc so I will not focus on all that main stuff that we would ask and be informed as a default. I loved the feel and atmosphere of heh place. Happy kids, busy, smiling, plus it was around 10am so kids had settled in. Everyone greeted me etc. The Director walked me through room to room. I absoultely loved this place. The downside to me was they did not offer lunch plus they were most expensive of the lot for me. $2800 almost if I  remember correctly for 2 for pre-school. Personally I wanted kids to be offered food by the school as 1. it helps mingle and make friends at meal time and they learn to be independent and learn some discipline around food and eating habits. 2 Plus as a working mom its just easier for me if I dont have to plan their snacks and lunch - one less thing in routine I can dedicate it somewhere. That's my personal preference anyway. So thats why I give it 4 stars.

2. The next place I went to Acorn Child Care - First look I new I wasnt sending my kids here. Although kids were ready to nap and some even napped hence was rather quiet. Over all was very badly organized place, dingy, dirty carpeted. Very disinterested owner and Director was just ok but gave me no incentive to join the place other than the price probably working out around $2000 or around that ball park for 2 kids. Plus it was in some strip mall kinda place and had two levels and there was some laundromat next door or some such. Over all a big NO for me in present circumstances

3. Next I went to Kindercare Westford  - kids were sleeping here too post lunch. I have been to enough Kindercare and Knowledge beginnings classes and I was sort of already mentally prepared for this place that I would like it and would be in my budget. So layout and everythign else was fine and known to me. One incentive was the pre -school was a new clas starting Jan and hence all kids would be same as age as A &A downside was teachers were currently teaching smaller classes and will move to pre-school, although they claimed teachers had experience with pre-schoolers I wasnt sure especially as a good friend said form pre school curriculum isnt that great. They did offer food, monthly it would probbaly be about $2300 ish for both. Any classes needed to be paid extra like phonics etc, so that would add more bucks on top of fees.

4. Next I went to Child care center Inc - Again hardly spent any time in there. Staff was good, they seemd to be involved and had a good diet plan for kids etc, again kids were asleep and the dingy carpet thing didnt appeal to me. Cost I dont even remember now maybe around the same mark as Kindercare. I just didnt like the feel of the place.

5. NGCC - I somehow always felt this will be an expensive place from the outside but was curious on what they had to offer. Kids were waking up by the time I went there. They had a lot of place inside and outside. I liked their curriculum. They gave pretty decent meals and like all places catered to vegetrian meals for kids. I saw kids being potty trained when I went in. They would probably be somewhat slightly young for the class room but kids are outgrowing and moving out so new ones come and go. Works out to be around $2,500 for 2 kids.Plus I had couple of colleagues vouch for it and a colleague's friend works for NGCC and had all good things to say for it. Plus I got that feel good factor.

All schools had ratio 2 teachers to 18 unfortunately. Also since I had taken the day off and had to squeeze in all daycares in 1 day - I had to go when kids were sleeping which is an absolutely wrong time to go as one knows. Also there were couple more daycares I wanted to go visit but didnt have the energy and felt I will be happy with NGCC for now. Roudenbush - well they are primarily not a daycare to begin with so I was not motivated to go see the place. Maybe its good too.  Kids League is mostly after school for older kids. TLE - I would have probably liked this one too, but thought it was a little off path for us from work to home.

All in all I was stuck between Kindercare and NGCC and went with NGCC. Hopefully it all works out fine and kids like it here. The previous daycare was a total stop gap kinda place and they were really young so convenient wise worked out very well for us. Over all they went only 6 months at a stretch and part time few weeks here and there. All I cared was an affectionate teacher which they found in Zoila and loved her and she loved them. When they changed classes and we decided on the home I decided they will directly go to a new school instead of changing classes again in Learning Zone at Waltham Plus I did not like the new class and attitudes there. We will miss Zoila and the proximity to. I am looking forward to this new daycare. BTW we do have an Indian lady who offered to baby sit our girls within the community but I am not a fan of home daycare in general so didnt opt for it.

No comments: