Monday, October 29, 2007

A place called New Jersey

Its so happened that for the last couple of weekends we were in New Jersey. Yes the desi adda. I was in plain shock when I visited NJ the very first time or rather I should be specific - Oaktree Road/Edison. Not to mention that every store and restaurant is desi but so are the people of course. I just felt like I was in Hyderabad/India, not one bit in US of A. Do you even need to speak English here? 1. Gujrati 2. Hindi/Telugu is enough to survive :) Last few visits I some how got used to the idea. We enjoyed some great Indian food and also experienced the rash driving (where indicators hold no significance and neither does giving yield). And highlight was that by the time we had come out of the restaurant after a great meal at Ming (served the best Indian Chinese food, slurrp!) somebody had spat on our car door - oh yes the same old pan residue mercilessly dropped everywhere back home or so it used to be. But I wondered what it would be like if I lived in a place that just resembled India but not situated in India.

Hmmm, I think I am personally happy living in the Greater Boston area or a place which is not too far from a Indian ghetto like NJ and San Jose. We can drive up whenever we miss the Indian food and feeling of being in India. Since I have the chance to live outside India for a while might as well experience the foreign way of living instead of being stuck like a frog in the well.

No comments: