Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A great weekend and some brags!

After a few weeks we finally had a pretty good weekend. Girls like most kids have got adjusted to day care, they cried a little when I dropped them last week and when I turned my back and watched them on the camera they did fine. This week they have even stopped shedding those tears and are happy to be with people their own age for a few hours. I want to almost brag that this is a miracle ;) but its not miraculous, most kids get adjusted and they adjust much better than older people :-) If they dont well we always have some alternative or the other? Initially I thought that this was not going to work out, I could not see them shed tears. We started them part time from 14 months but they barely went in for a few days and didnt do very well. Everyone told me it will get fine and I knew it would but I was so disturbed to see them cry initially. I hate it that they cant fully express themselves and cry, but its part of growing up. They had a bout of viral end of August, then a teething session, then a bad cold but in the mean time those intermittent visits to day care did familiarize them with the surroundings in the mean time. Come 16 months they are off full time and are doing ok. They will adjust much better after a month or so and I wont be surprised if in between we end up with a cold or some such sickness yet again :-(

So I meant to brag about past weekend. Perfect weather and we made it finally to 'Day out with Thomas' AG is the one who is head over heels in love with the tank engine. She was awestruck and expressions were priceless. While we waited for our turn to ride on the train, we had like a waiting period of 1 hour, we spent it in an indoor play area. What we realized was AL simply adjusted very well in new surroundings. She walked straight to those lego toys amid some older kids already playing there, not afraid or overwhelmed and started playing, even smiled and said hi yes my 16 month old can say Hi and Bye very well since she was 13-14 months old. AG is a bit shy, she will tip toe, look at us then slowly blend in. She can get a bit scared of some personalities and run back to us but go back and play again, that's what she did. One such instance AL was playing with a toy crane and some boy stood in between her crane and her, she got mad and she 'almost' yanked that crane at him. Dear God! I ran to her and asked her not to hit, took her to the side and explained, she was too excited and went back and started playing again. AL is our official 'hitter' her instincts tell her to hit if she doesnt approve of something, she hits you with whatever she has in her hand or her hand itself. No one ahs taught her nor has she seen it, she just does it! I know many people might think oh she is a kid, so cute. And mind you her expressions when she hits you are very mature and funny and that cracks me up, but I dont approve of such behavior. I always stop her and try to discipline her right away, she will get it someday and its hopefully soon, but I am being consistent with disciplin-ing her. AG has more tolerance and patience some how she doesnt hit back if her sis ever attacks her, she looks at us with sad eyes, but of course that's cos we are around, if we arent they am sure she would hit back or push or some such force will be used. On that note she was the 'biter' she would bite AL when she was mad or didnt have her way. But I like to think my consistent 'no -no -no ing' and time outs have helped her fight the habit. But I am yet to apply timeouts for hitting on AL.

Anyway I digress, so Day out with Thomas was fun, we got a whistle for them and a balloon and they had F-U-N! It was a 40 mile drive from Waltham but was worth it. Also it was their first train ride and it happened to be on Thomas, how cool is that ;) Today's generation has taken a big leap forward that way. My twins actually came home from the hospital for the first time in a Black BMW, could you beat that ;)Sunday we took them to Parlee farms, apple picking, hay rides, pumpkin patch, farm animals - was fabulous. A little too hot but yet fun. AG walked like a daada eating an apple amid the apple trees refusing to pick any fruits. AL follows instructions pretty well (so far anyway ;)). She plucked them (she tried to but couldnt put enough pressure so I plucked them for her) and would neatly and carefully put in the bag. The trees had low hanging fruits, so great for toddlers. Unfortunately some people had thrown half eaten apples here and there and hence there were a lot of bees that got a bit annoying to walk around with toddlers. Our freinds from our condos who also have 8 month old twins joined us. Got some fab pictures. On the way back we even managed to take a quick darshan at Durga pandal in Billerica (Marshall Middle School) and on the way back AL pointed to the full moon and said mooooon, 2 weeks back I had shown her the moon from the balcony during a good night session (saying good night to every object around) and told her its the MOON and there you go, what can I say :-)

October 8th exactly 2 years since I found out we were expecting our first child (got to know its children much later :-)) ah! still remember the feeling of the onset of motherhood :-)

No comments: