Thursday, October 25, 2012

Ear piercings - Check!

Girls got their ears pierced yesterday - yay! Everyone, including me kept saying should have been done way back when they were little and they would just cry a little and be done with it. Mine was done at some 11/13 days apparently and traditional way with the ear piercing man came home and just poked it in. Of course I would have got it done sooner when they were few months, but P wasnt convinced. First few months we had travel and we didnt want to do anything new should they not take it well. Time passed and P kept insisting they would then pull each others ears or mess with it etc as they were very active infants. Let's get it done when they ask for it was the final discussion point. Finally on garba day when I put these big earrings - AG asked the magic question - "I want earrings too Amma" - Of course darling and I was so happy - I love jewellery and chances are I know at least one of them will, if not both!

Wednesday being Vijay dashami etc was as a good day I thought, didnt want to get into further calendar details. Claire's in Burlington mall is a walk-in ear piercing and accessories store. The lady suggested that they are young and maybe I should come back next day when they are staffed with 2 experienced ear piercing people who simultaneously pierce both ears at the same time so it helps when kids are wiggly and uncomfortable. Its a better way but I was bummed as I was all set to get done same day and so was my mom. I took a chance we all got ours one ear after another big deal. AG was the first one to go. After 10 signatures she took from me, checked my id etc. I chose basic gold plain studs, nothing fancy and Voila! she did the markings and was done before I knew it. AG resisted a little bit for second ear, I was holding her in my lap in a high chair while mom in the front was distracting her. No cry no fuss all done. Yay!

AL I wasnt sure would go so smoothly she can be quite fussy and she senses things too soon and is cautious by nature, although she was standing out side with my dad when AG was getting it done and had no clue of the details. I thought I will go next day when both ladies are available for her. I asked her and she said she wanted earrings too one last time and the lollipop lady gave AG after she was done was more attractive to her. Again more signatures and I was sitting with AL. She saw lady use sanitizer and gloves and got the whole "doctor" feeling and her expressions changed kinda sceptical, she went through with cleaning, markings and first ear and she cried a little bit and resisted. But quickly got done with second one too and got a lollipop and an immediate trip to Rainforest cafe and they were fine. Some initial redness in ears but subsided.

So for next 2 months have to use the cleanser they gave to prevent infection and when we change earrings few months down the line ensure earrings always there for next 1 year or chances of it closing back again. I think they look really cute, or cuter with the earrings. :-) The whole thing costed $95 for both including that medicated cleanser. On hind sight should have avoided the cleanser and gone with traditional haldi and saved few bucks. Oh well but the haldi mess another issue. Expensive according to me but job well done since there were almost no tears- and that matters. I got some extra ear piercing done in college days and through similar method (gun or whatever they call it). Its almost pain free. That really helped to the traditional piercing method I guess in general. So 2 years 4 months is not a bad age after all to get ear piercing done but of course the girls were really good :-)

1 comment:

SS Rama Rao said...

Happy to know that ear piercing over on vijayadasami .Its right time to do especially when girls feel for it-daddy