Wednesday, October 24, 2012

This and That...

Its been 2 years since my Grandfather passed away. The first and last time he saw the girls who were just 4 months old and AL even lovingly scratched his hand. Everything seems so staged now if I think about it sometimes, like it was meant to be. Me flying down with girls sooner than planned. Meeting him sooner than planned once I landed and things that followed. I am probably lucky to have grandparents presence and influence for so long in my life which I know many dont have.

So my Dad performed the yearly ceremony on Monday in a very simple manner at the temple. It was peaceful and calm at the temple, as it was a Monday morning (although Durgashtami). No distractions whatsoever. I am big on all religious ceremonies being a private thing and hate publicity stunts. Mainly cos focus on the spiritual aspect is often lost and emotions and outwardly/worldly presentations take over and it makes it seem like a formality which it shouldnt be. Of course, values, good faith and respect is more important than ceremonies itself not just to the departed but to the people around you. I guess I have this fear from couple of my past experiences that gatherings may simply become a sham, where 1 person whether a priest or organizer just uses his/her position to take undue advantage of others feelings/respect and faith. Its my opinion anyway.

Yesterday finally ate at Sichuan Gourmet for lunch. Since I got to Boston area people have recommended it as the best restaurant and so close to Indo-Chinese etc. And rightly I loved it. Had this spicy tofu curry with white rice and loved it, love it, loved it! And such generous portions that I had to pack the rest and 3 of us ate it again for dinner ;) Mom especially loves tofu. Its not as close to Indo-Chinese to me but very tasty. I never was a big fan of spicy food in general, I still dont cook spicy food or enjoy spicy food when its home cooked. Past few months though my spice tolerance and craving for spicy food has increased but it limited to only when I eat out. One of those changes I guess to taste buds.

Peeked a little into NDTV last night and most of Yash Chopra movie songs were being played. Loved it! Right from his earlier movies to the latest ones. We were humming and then there was this little hum that joined us AG smiling and doing her own thing of tearing-up the thermocol ball and humming with us :-) cute or what?

Thanks to everyone at home, making an early start in the mornings for work. Although I am not a morning person, cant say I hate it. Its lovely driving on calm roads and admiring the surrounding and falling in love with the city you love/work/hang out in :-)

2 comments:

SS Rama Rao said...

The observations are generally true.The Hindu traditional procedures/rituals are having rich heritage.Only some pundits etc with selfish motives and half knowledge are damaging the values making people to loose faith/interest.But one may appreciate the sincere followers of the traditions in true spirit in the present day lifes also-Daddy

Meg said...

Absolutely :-) but my opinion wasnt on not appreciating sincere efforts. Its about when public display takes precendence over sincerety.And then what if people perform rituals sincerely but turn around and dont practice the values you otherwise preach? :-) Nothing is black and white I guess in life...