Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Vacation! Vacation

After about 4 years took 1 week off with the Girl friends in Europe and had a great time! Although very different from last time as we were a bigger group and weather was colder back then and we were 4 years younger ;). This time 3 of us set forth and ventured into two beautiful cities in Europe, although with no fixed agenda we had a checklist that we successfully crossed out.

We made this last minute plan as usual to take off to Europe. There were more dramas than we expected as my friends had to take UK and Schengen visa. Everyday we would wait for the passport, as UK visa took longer than expected and that created all the drama for us ;) Schenegen was a breeze for them. And me being the dual citizen that I am with NZ didnt need any visa and Thank Goodness for that.


My flight to London from Boston got delayed by 7 hours due to a technical snag and I was waiting at the airport and kinda bummed.

London

I flew into London and we stayed at K's our other partner in crime. Since this is my second trip there just strolled down the shopping area with the girls who made some pretty big purchases (LV topped the list). We did a casual strolls both days and did some bar hopping and settled for some lovely Middle eastern/ME food at Giraffe cafe. Overall 2 days nicely spent. Rainy weather, great company - who can complain? We then took a BA flight to Amsterdam from Gatwick.

Amsterdam

A cozy and vibrant, this place personifies 'freedom' to me in every sense. We did the Heineken tour, shopping (my girls went berserk ;) had fun although shopping was not on my agenda), Red light district (a very different experience is all can say, since its all very legal here), a casual trip to the 'coffee-shops' (yep! it was like in the movies ;)), And I did VanGogh Museum while the girls continued shopping. The paintings were split between 2 locations as main museum was under some kinda construction. I just visited one of the locations and loved it. Loved the very 'deep' quotes alongside the paintings and the paintings. We did a canal cruise and a lot of just hanging out and walking. We were on our feet continuously for 2 days so by end of the day we slept really well ;) We discovered Moez a lovely ME veggie chain and definitely had the best fries ever in Amsterdam and the falafel sandwich, yum! yum! yum! The weather was pleasant and not too cold and thoroughly enjoyed snacking on Nutella on warm waffles. We never really care for Nutella as much at home, but out there it was tempting. Whether on a crepe or a waffle.Cool, drizzly weather and warm waffles w/ Nutella is a deadly combo. We even ate at a couple of Indian restaurants and Tandoor specifically had good food. Had Mexican other times. Hotel was close to the heart of the city and it really cut down time to key places, even though city is not as big from what I saw, but still.

Paris

We then took the Thalys train to Paris. From Centraal Station Amsterdam to Paris Nord. Took a cab to the hotel and since it was an early train we slept through the journey and once we hit the hotel showered, got ready and went to Louvre. Louvre was way too big than I imagined. The bummer was everything was in French and by the time we decided to take the headphones for guidance in English it was kinda late. We toured the Napolean Bonaparte arena, Mona Lisa painting (which as expected does not meet expectations due to the hype plus the over crowding, you sort of lose interest in it). It was massive place with works from some greatest artists. And since ours was a 3 day trip and Louvre could alone consume 2 days according to me. We did a rather quick tour of it and then headed to Eiffel Tower. This was absolutely breath taking view. Middle of the city there is the lovely huge metal structure. I was in awe. But again its me someone else might not get the same feeling. I loved it. Kept staring at it and my mind went blank and happy at the same time. We took the elevator to the top and again cant say enough about how beautiful it was. As much as I was done with tall buildings after Sears Tower and Empire State, I still loved this one. It was a beautiful site soaking up the whole view of the city with River Seine flowing across.

We then headed back to the hotel and went to Blanche for Moulin Rouge. It was a nice show but started later than expected and again it was all in French. It was my first cabaret show and I liked it. But towards the end our fatigue took over as we did quite a bit of sightseeing the very first day and we got done by about 2am and took a cab back (we were up since 4am). this was probably the only crazy day we had where in we squeezed in a lot :-) Next day we went to Sucre Couer, it was a nice vicinity and a pretty good cathedral, walked around across Pigalle and headed to Champs Elysee. Took a quick look of Arch de Tromphe which is just like our Gateway in India. Girls shopped a bit again on Elysee we then again went back and strolled and ate in cafes and enjoyed the views. Had some really good Italian food there in a cafe.

Next day we first went to the Palace of Versailles then to Notre Dame castle. Palace gardens were beautiful. I had already seen Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal. So the more exciting part for me where the piano bars and the lovely restaurants and cafes outside St Michele's. It was a gorgeous site to just walk in that area and the lovely chocolate/cookies smell in the air. It was the next big highlight for me in Paris after Eiffel Tower. Totally not doing justice in this post here. We did some more strolling around in Champs Elysee, finally went to the hotel, packed, headed out to Fauchen cafe, shopped a little, ate at a pizza place and prepared for departure next day.

We headed again to Paris Nord. Since this time we were going back into UK had to do all the immigration/customs stuff. Took the Eurostar train 2 2/1/2 hours. Again dozed off. My friends had left some stuff at K's place in Wimbledon, so one of them went to her place to get the stuff while the two of us waited at VAT office, once she got back which was a bit rushed as their flight to India was earlier than mine and K's (Yes K was flying to India w/ the baby same day). Once they wrapped up and checked in, I went to my terminal and got home.

This was the first time I flew Virgin Atlantic and it was pretty good, I liked the food served also. No dramas, got home and got back straight into my lovely routine.

Thankful and Grateful!

My trip was only possible due to my parents and husband. The pillars in my life.

I am not a huge fan of vacationing without kids. I couldnt think of it ever.

But this all-girls trip just happened!

P and my parents encouraged me with all the bookings to go ahead and completely took over with the kids and their stuff. Mom and P suggested this time will never come again once kids start school, parents are not here etc, plus P also is taking a week off in Canada although its not a vacation, vacation, ;)

But when the day actually arrived to leave I was in tears as I was leaving them behind. I did it once in India as I had no choice back then for 4 days when MIL expired and my parents house was the only place they were loved and safe. Period. This was definitely easier as it was home base and kids routine was not disrupted etc. It was just me missing them terribly. It was a big decision for me. At the same time I am blessed with a support system I cant stop bragging about. As much as I applaud people who do everything on their own. Nothing like having hands-on grand parents. Plus even more blessed to have flexible and affectionate kids. There were certain things only I could do, like feeding them for example when they were younger. But they took to my mom so easily and naturally from Day 1, I just love it, I love the rapport and bonding they share with her. Touch wood!

As soon as I got to London I spoke to the girls, did Facetime etc and they were totally fine. They asked me to bring them the red London bus and fire truck/engine from London and they did great! That's when I realized how sensible the girls are. They would ask for me everyday remaining 5 days and then Mom would ensure she reminded them I'd be back soon and I am taking a break with friends. And although 7 days felt like a month to me, it just flew for them.


Although I think it is probably my only/last vacation/trip without the kids.

No comments: