Monday, July 21, 2008

Au Revoir NZ

My parents are moving back to India. They had moved to make my life comfortable in NZ when I was studying and working; but now with me in America, they decided to move back. As long as my parents were there I had that association and ties to NZ. Its a very strange feeling, now of being cut off with NZ. Sigh! I definitely feel the bond, but memories of NZ seem very distant, now. In fact the other day when I called customer service in NZ for something, I realized how much I missed the accent and the friendly people. I realized I missed Ellerslie, the Indian ghetto where I stayed on Ballarat Street, University of Auckland, Fonterra, Queens Street. I missed the Harbor front, Stagecoach service, that tasty chow mein at Panmure, St Luke's mall/Dressmart (which seem so very small in size)... I realized I missed a lot of things. Of course and didnt miss a few things especially the crazy weather - rain during winters! Eeeks! :) I am really grateful for the opportunities and the experience the country has provided me. NZ will never be the same as what India is to me, obviously. But NZ has its own special place in my heart.

No comments: