Sunday, June 24, 2007

Little Women

Most of us have a strong attachment to the non-details we had in school. I had Little Women in my fifth class. Like most girls at that age I fell in love with that book and still love reading it once in a while. The best part about reading such books is how we get to imagine the characters, the background settings etc. I really enjoy reading especially such classics simply because I like to day dream while reading them. I finally got a copy of the Little Women in Walmart (Winona Ryder (who plays Jo) and Susan Sarandon (who plays Marmie). One afternoon I watched it and simply fell in love with it. It perfectly fell in place - the exact details I imagined as a young girl - all the characters of Laurie, Beth and Meg and Amy...simply perfect! even Hannah and Aunt March.

Moreover even before I saw this movie I had visited Lousia May Alcott's (the author) residence turned museum in Concord (Massachusetts) yes the place is the setting for the story as well.

Orchard House:

photo

Hence this experience drew me closer to the classic.

If you have not already watched this version and your a Little Women fan like me - the movie is a must watch; but yes certain details were obviously cut. But no where did I feel that there was a disconnect. [It usually happens when I read the book first and then watch the movie (Ahem!)] but not for this one.

No comments: