Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Rugby and Haka...

When I moved to New Zealand like most immigrants I was 'introduced' to the game called Rugby (especially since I was coming from a cricket-oriented) country - I can consider this a new game. The very first time I watched it I knew it wasn't my cup of tea. Me being a girly-girl that I am - the scrummage, the maul and the tackling was something I could not digest. Not to mention the cauliflower ears that a few players possessed (Ouch!).

The most exciting/admirable yet daunting aspect of the game was the 'Haka'. This ferocious act of challenge put across by All Blacks (New Zealand team) to its opponents. Do watch this video and you will know what I am talking about.





Its extremely passionate display right at the beginning of a game which has been apparently, traditionally performed by the team. It is adapted from the Maori culture. It has different connotations but All Blacks use it primarily to throw challenge to the opponents.

This has had mixed reactions from various people and teams and I think they even changed the type of Haka in the recent past. However in my opinion its extremely passionate. But yes for an outsider its a bit too intimidating and cannot be easily appreciated. Though I am of the view that perhaps its something that does not necessarily fit into the pre-requisites at a start of the game. I hope its something they allow if the team is playing on the home ground in NZ. As when games are played overseas its totally up to the host country, then again IRB council would have the final say.

New Zealand is hosting the Rugby world cup in 2011 - I really hope I can make another trip down under to see and be part of the insane passion! :)

One other thing New Zealand has always followed a certain pattern in naming their sports teams - I know most of them but thought let me just collect few of the popular names for my records:

Rugby (Men)= All Blacks
Rugby (Women) = Black Ferns
Net ball (Women) = Silver Ferns
Cricket (Men) = Black Caps
Cricket (Women) = White Ferns
Basketball (Men) = Tall Blacks
Basketball (Women) = Tall Ferns
Others include:
Wheelchair Rugby = Wheel blacks
Soccer (Men) = All whites
Softball (Men) = White Socks ...and so on, aren't they quite interesting names!

No comments: