Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cooking routine

I am a fairly decent cook but for some reason Tea and making rotis were two things I never attempted since I started cooking in 2005 after wedding. I have made very complicated and time consuming recipes so I am not sure why I avoided these two.

I am a tea drinker I love my typical desi chai. I started using the tea bags although didnt give the same taste. Finally in 2-3 years started making tea, properly boiled with mil and sugar etc. I can finally claim I make decent tea for some time now.

Recently I started my roti making project. Its been a month and I have made great progress. I have used up for the first time a 5 kg bag of chapati atta in almost a little over a month. I started making the typical south Indian version of chapatti, the thick ones with many folds. Then graduated to basic roti. The main reason has been gas stove and tava. Past 7 years one the electric stove not sure why I never was motivated to make rotis. I have a goal and hope I get there in 2-3 months.

I am really content with the past cooking routine. Especially with rotis since unlike working women in India you do not have any help here (not that I am complaining I feel the kitchen hands or maids make you lazy, bossy and create depdendency on them!). So right from making the dough and cutting vegetables, loading, unloading dishwasher, cleaning the house, folding heaps of laundry etc is a lot of work and time. 

Although its a lot of cooking at once at night as I cook lunch next day to take to work, since mornings are unpredictable with the twins, feeding breakfast getting them all ready to goto school the whole routine can be smooth to a lot fo work depending on how they feel altough its getting better due to less cold etc with the weather improving, you never know ;), so I dont want to take a chance hence I cook lunch in advance and refrigerate it. That way it helps me prioritize and focus only on the girls in the morning.

No comments: