Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Impromptu Relationships


When DH’s parents were visiting 2 years back I happened to meet this Kannadiga lady from Bhadravati, Karnataka in the elevator taking a walk with her granddaughter. We exchanged a quick hello and she asked my apartment number. Surprise, she dropped by at our place subsequently, very India style and made friends with us and specially with me (since I am Kannadiga too and she is fluent in that language). She is a very talkative, lively woman and very friendly who was visiting her daughter and their family (husband and mother of a young girl about 4 years old). Since then this is her third visit to US in 3 years and all 3 times she has made it a point to stop by and talk to me. Sometimes I used to be not in a mood to talk to her, sometimes I would be, but it wouldn’t matter. It isnt so much of a dialogue, it’s a monologue, this Aunty is talkative and can go on and on for a long time. Once I was sick and sleeping and she came looking for me, my husband apologetically said I was sleeping as I was a bit under the weather and she started conversing with my husband in Kannada about cricket etc. and my husband does not understand or speak the language– that is her spirit J I was in Toronto last year and she came home and my husband called me and she made it a point to talk to me before she left. I was touched. Tomorrow this family is moving to Lebanon, NH. I wasn’t very close to them as such yet I will miss them somewhat. There was this unspoken comfort that they are always there in the building. It so happens 2 more Indian families (at last 2 that we know of) who recently moved were also introduced to us by this Aunty. And Thanks to her I know someone in the apartments. Otherwise I would have led the same indifferent life as most of the people in our building other than a casual “Hello” when we happen to make eye contact with some one.

Its been so long since I have been engaged in such ‘impromptu relationships’. Used to happen so much back home…

No comments: