Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Birthdays!

Today is our friend's birthday. Being a holiday we dutifully spent the eve at his place and cut the cake at 12am. It was good. Especially for our friend cos his family - parents and brother's family and all his near and dear were together under one roof. Not everyone gets to have their chosen people on their birthday. He was quite lucky, I thought.

June-July starts the birthday season. June slowly sets the pace and by the time its August you would have wished a person every single day :) Thanks to Orkut it not only found us long lost friends but reminds us of birthdays. Since childhood birthdays have always been fun. In India when I was really young, I remember it would typically begin when I would get up all excited. The previous week my mom would have bought me a dress (frock as we call it) and chocolates to distribute to classmates and then invite all the neighborhood kids I would play with in the evening after school, for a meal at home after school. In school all kids sang the Happy Birthday song and I would distribute chocolates. Later years I received birthday bums and all :) At home again mom would cook good food and neighborhood kids came over and I had fun once again cut the cake and receive gifts and also give some 'return gifts'.

As I grew up we were not allowed to wear new outfits at school to maintain equality among students, school authorities made a rule to come in your uniform as usual on birthdays but you can distribute chocolates if you wish. I am always a strong supporter of uniform (does not create unnecessary disparities at a young age!) so I was happy. Eventually by the time we reached eighth grade we stopped everything altogether. We would carry chocolates and offer only if someone remembered and wished. And by that time we were old enough to go out on our own (as parents decided) we started eating out - just us group of friends and go for a movie. When we were in 10th grade we had started sleepovers etc so we would spend the previous night at the birthday girl's (it was an all girls school) place and cut the cake at 12 :)

Then when P came in my life, I was 17 so since my 18th birthday, birthdays have been so much fun thanks to him. My 21st was the best :) I was working in Juno and he sent me 3-5 bouquets a beautiful watch and just made it so special. Not just the gifts ;) but the feeling of being young and in love - awwwww! :)

Now even after years :) birthdays are always special days; the best when your close family and friends are around. I panicked last couple of birthdays a bit (you know why) but now I know each year there is something wonderful in store for me. Surprises! - some pleasant some not so pleasant - after all life is a roller coaster ride eh?, but definitely all the experiences make us a smarterand mature and appreciate life ....

No comments: