Friday, July 20, 2007

Silver lining

Has it ever happened that your very close to achieving something, your about to fold your fingers and grasp it and suddenly due to unexpected reason it completely disappears, and leaves you holding your hands in mid-air totally surprised/shocked not knowing how to react. Well this is something that has never happened to me before. Even though I did feel at times that something was about to fall apart somehow strangely things worked out and fell into place. Hence I always thought, I was lucky that despite some hiccups and hurdles I always got what I wanted. But not any more!

I always considered myself an optimistic person and yes that I am - at every juncture I always expect the most positive thing to happen - isn't that what an optimist should do? (Dictionary dot com describes an optimist as 'a person who usually expects a favorable outcome'). Even the fox from the fox and grapes story (the fox labeled the grapes sour just cos it could not reach them) should be appreciated for being optimistic and not cribbing, but conveniently telling himself it was not losing out on anything by not eating the grapes.

The flip side to being an optimist is your constantly expecting things to work in your favor and your pushing yourself forward. How long can you do this? what makes me question this is the fact that I have survived 2-3 major situations like this in past 1 year, which I thought were important to me and within reach but turned out to be a mirage. I am optimistic but an emotional person, I need to have a good cry to get over something after which I typically use the butterfly analogy and calm myself. (Remember you have those posters with a butterfly being set free by a pair of hands and the quotation : "If you love something set it free, if it comes back to you, its yours, else it never was"). But it so happens, an hour back I have survived through another such opportunity that made its appearance and disappeared yet again, something which was not in my control "yet again": I had a good cry and convinced myself something good is in store for me. But another question troubled me that this is the third/fourth time I have told myself in the last 1 year or so. Will I survive another one? Isn't it high time I should have my share of wish-list granted?

My conscience dutifully told me: yes I would survive. Remember what you once heard it said "What does not destroy you, makes you stronger". One deep breath and I was back to normal. Its amazing how our thought process works and helps us bounce back and move on with life. I hope I always see the silver lining, rather than the dark cloud itself and count my blessings and live in the present. I hope I continue to be strong and remain stoic when the next tide sweeps across. I hope the next one is not a tide, instead I see the dark cloud disappearing, and the sun shining on me through the bright blue sky...



No comments: