Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Kudos Ajji!

Yesterday, was yet another mundane day. I came home from Red Cross some how very dull . Was lost in my own thoughts and was making Rasam/Saaru for dinner, and the Rasam powder/Saaru podi I was using was what my aunts had sent from India. But it somehow reminded me of my Ajji who used to make the best Saaru I have had when I was young.

Like most kids brought up in India I have had my grandparents influence in my life since childhood. My Ajji especially has been a source of inspiration to me. To provide a bit of background about her, she was born and brought up in this small town of Dharapuram in Tamilnadu and married my grand father, her cousin at a young age. She moved to Udupi, my grandfather's hometown after marriage, then temperorily Chennai, when my Ajja/Grandfather decided to migrate for better prospects and then finally Hyderabad. They have been in Hyderabad for over 50 years now. They then bought a small house in Kothi, Hyderabad and have lived there ever since (and thats how the Karody's landed in Hyderabad) :). Most weekends during my childhood I have spent with them in that very house. And even summer vacations too and celebrated most of the important festivals.

My Grand dad used to teach Chemistry in New Science college in Hyderabad. My Ajji mean while was way too talented to be sitting at home. She was BTW very good in her acads especially math and science. She took up Bachelors degree in English Literature and taught in Reddy college for Women in Hyderabad. To this day she wows people with her intelligence, charisma and English vocabulary.

I always have very fond memories of her narrating Ramayana on hot summer afternoons (summer vacation days that I spent there) and making Paayasam /kheer/Rice pudding for me at odd hours. I simply loved it when she made it. She would make it specially for me in very small quantity and it would taste 'out of this world'. I would relish it to the last drop. I might have probably been 7 or 8 then (my memory is very faint before that). That is how she started having influence over my life - by providing me with simple pleasures in life and most importantly the love and affection that every child needs at that young age. At the same time she always taught me something new, be it mythological stories or teaching values. She was always very devoted to my grand father and never have I seen her rude or moody. She was patience and perseverance personified. )Who would otherwise pursue studies with 4 young kids i.e. my dad and his brothers)?

When my grand dad retired so did she in order to give him company. Both of them then actively participated in Kannada Natya Ranga - a Hyderabad based Kannada community group which primarily promotes Kannada art and literature through networking. My Ajja and Ajji actively directed plays and also brought to Hyderabad Yakshagana troops and other performers from Karnataka. The shows were always a huge success. Thus grew my grand parents fame in the Kannada community in the 1980's, they were very warm and friendly, very helpful and also very social, who loved to be around people.

Ajji has also been the best cook and very active. When so many people would visit their home (mainly related to Kannada Natya Ranga) she would always cook and offer something to eat and drink without ever getting bugged, how many ever people may arrive without notice. In fact she would enjoy serving and simply 'giving'. I remember the two things she has always taught me and still tells me to this day (it rings in my ears) that as a woman I should always be patient and compassionate when dealing with other people. Differences do occur in most relationships but I should not make any rash decisions and react. Whenever a girl behaves rashly fingers are pointed to the way her mother brought her up. This does sound like old school of thought. But it is true that how we behave as adults mostly reflects on how our parents have brought us up. But some how she always told me this and never did I pay attention. Now after making a few mistakes here and there I realize by what she means. She has also taught me the importance of simple living and self respect. Imagine they are in their 80's and still live in their own home and in that small house they own, and on their pension money they earn.

Wow! It is now I understand that a person who is mentally strong i.e. not perturbed by any challenges that life throws, who is patient and compassionate (wishing well for one and all) in thinking, perseveres goals with sincerity can lead a content life. Now after all these years I see her now she has become quite old and feeble, yet what's amazing is the spark that remains in her. Ajji I think your such a wonderful human being, and have always given, given and given to everyone around you by sharing happiness, wisdom and contentment. I really hope I can emulate and adopt some of the values you have taught me and pass it on.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened; vision cleared; ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller

2 comments:

AK said...

Many times we find our elders have had their fundamental lessons of life learned well. But we take our time to realise that. Somebody said:

"When i was 14, i considered my father to be the most ignorant fool in the world; when i turned 21, i wondered how much that old man had learned in past 7 years"!

dharmabum said...

grandmoms are the best.