Sunday, July 1, 2007

Mundane stuff: Mattress search and so on...

Weekend as usual has just flown. Friday wanted to go for 'Sicko' but somehow we were not able to make it. My husband has been working pretty late and hard last week, yet again. Saturday we went to the temple (our weekly ritual) and post lunch we were invited for Coffee at a friend's place, actually they had purchased a brand new home. It was in Chelmsford (MA) a good 40 minutes drive from our home for us and me was driving and my husband was on the phone continuously with some work related issues. I was very nervous, as I was worried he would not direct me appropriately as he also had not been to the area. I made a couple of minor blunders and we reached safe ;) We had Chai and then other friends left and we continued hanging out at their place. P was on the computer for atleast 1 hour at their place then finally after he got done we watched this Telugu movie Pellayina Kothalo (Jagpathi Babu and some new heroine) some parts of the movie was quite funny. We finally had dinner at their place and got home. BTW the home was very good, when we visit people who have purchased such big homes it feels so good with so much space etc. But end of the day I am so happy with my rented apartment. Imagine cleaning/maintaining such big 4 bedroom homes and then so much stuff you end up accumulating (some how that makes me feel old - the less stuff I have in terms of furniture etc the younger I feel ;)). Nevertheless these guys had a nice deck, big kitchen and 4 spacious bedrooms and over all very cosy place.

Today it was routine stuff, did grocery shopping at Costco and Patel Brothers :) But the biggest achievement was we purchased a bed and mattress for the guest room at IKEA. With my in-laws trip visit round the corner, I was almost beginning to worry about the mattress shopping. Mattress shopping is a never ending saga..... It began like this; we hurriedly bought a Sealy's Posturpedic when I moved here (US) last February (2006). Since I have moved to US I have never ever slept well in the last one year (I am not exaggerating!). I dont know what it is (USCIS has contributed to my lack of sleep I later convinced myself they are not worth even thinking or talking about, hey so can I sue them?), but I like to think its the mattress as the culprit, to begin with, we have been searching for mattresses forever now. We are planning to buy Temperpedic which is almost 3000$ (for a mattress 3K - you think I can sleep peacefully now? ;)) but again someone told its disadvantages and we are back to square one and husband and I are still not able to decide if we should go for King or Queen!

I have no idea what sort of mattress I used in India. Such discussions also would not have come up, Phew! (Yes! I am turning into an Aunty day by day). Life is getting so complicated with too many options and time on hand (again blame the USCIS!!). I slept so very well in India and even in New Zealand for that matter, in fact in NZ I had a sidey mattress yet I slept well. Thus our quest for a good mattress continues....

Question: Why were there such few desis outdoors this weekend?
Answer: They were all at the Lawyer's to make sure their papers (Green Card - what else?)are filed at dawn (July 2nd is the big day right?).
I think most desis spend half their time in US talking/planning about/for H1 and GC (sigh! some times I feel sorry for us!)

No comments: